The big day for local marathon runners is almost here. The Houston Marathon is expected to take place on January 19 and if you are one of the runners, you have probably been training tirelessly for the past few weeks. But, do you know what steps to take for a successful recovery after the marathon is over?
Right after you cross that finish line there are a few things you absolutely need to take care of before you go home or out to celebrate.
- Change into dry, clean clothes and comfortable shoes, preferably closed shoes (not sandals) in order to avoid swelling in your feet.
- Sit or lay down for 15 to 20 minutes with your feet up.
- Drink non-carbonated sports drinks and eat one or two energy gels.
12 hours after the marathon, make sure you:
- Take a shower or bath, a cold one if possible.
- Since you will probably be famished, eat a proper meal. Make sure it is a balanced meal and drink copious amounts of water.
- Get enough sleep.
A few days after the marathon, keep in mind:
- You need to stay active. Don’t push yourself too hard: go for a light walk, a swim or a short bike ride.
- Continue eating healthy.
- Massage problem areas where you feel sore.
- Stay motivated. Pick your next marathon, competitive run or any other activity that will keep you training.