Have you been wanting to eat healthier but don’t know where to start? We recommend starting with the basics: cooking with healthier ingredients. We have compiled a list of 5 commonly used ingredients that can be substituted with a healthy counterpart.
- Butter or sugar can be substituted with applesauce especially when baking because it adds sweetness to your recipes while keeping the calories and saturated fats low.
- Pureed sweet potato can substitute cream when making soup. That way you will be consuming less fat and more potassium, which helps lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of stroke.
- Zucchini ribbons or spaghetti squash can substitute pasta. Cut the zucchini or squash with a vegetable peeler in thin slices and bake or sauté for a few minutes to give them a noodle-like texture.
- Substitute breadcrumbs with rolled oats and add a little seasoning for a healthy and delicious breaded chicken recipe.
- Salads are a great source of nutrients, but next time you have one substitute the croutons for nuts. The nuts will give your salad a nice crunch element and also boost the protein.
What do you think? Neighbors Emergency Center would love to hear your thoughts on healthy meal preparation. Remember, your friendly Neighbors here for you 24/7 in the event of an emergency.