One of the most difficult aspects of being a parent is getting your little ones to enjoy all of the nutrient-rich foods you know they should eat. Even though they might be fussy at first, use these quick and easy steps to get them on the right track to a more nutritious diet:
- Don’t demand that they eat what’s on their plates! The best way to get you child chewing is by eating the food yourself. Eventually they’ll see your good habits and pick up what you’re doing.
- Give straightforward praise, even if he only takes one bite. The best way to encourage a new habit is by…encouraging! Say small things like, “I’m so proud of you!” and “That looks yummy!” Soon they’ll understand why eating healthy is something that you like and will want to hear the praise more and more.
- Don’t worry about how much or when your child is eating. If you child eats what he’s supposed to eat according to the food pyramid over the course of the week, he is right on track to be a healthy body weight and getting all of the nutrition he requires.
- Offer choices that are inconsequential. Give her an option, for example, the red plate or the blue? A limited choice is often enough to end the power struggle. Just make sure to make your rules clear: “At home, you can choose whichever cup you like, but when we’re out you have to use whatever they offer.”
- Your child won’t eat meat? No problem! There are so many alternatives that offer the same protein that meat offers, like yogurt, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and a variety of beans. The texture might not appeal to youngsters, so relax. The vegetarian thing won’t hurt them at all.
Neighbors Emergency Center cares about you and your child’s eating habits. If he or she experiences an upset stomach, trouble eating, or other feelings of sickness, please contact us immediately. We’re always here to help.